"So we fix our eyes not on what is seen, but on what is unseen. For what is seen is temporary, but what is unseen is eternal." (2 Corinthians 4:18)

Monday, January 13, 2014

Imperfection...


"Creativity is allowing yourself to make mistakes.  Art is knowing which ones to keep."  Scott Adams

"Nobody's perfect...It's why pencils have erasers."  Unknown

When I completed my 365 in January of 2012, I wrote these words as part of my conclusion:  "Perfectionism stifles creativity.  I don't think I realized how much this tendency is alive in me.  I'm learning that imperfection is part of the process and valuable in its own right." It's two years later and I STILL struggle with this.  I can't tell you how often I procrastine about shooting because I don't have time to do it "right". So my camera sits in its bag...again. I want to learn to reach for excellence without holding so tightly to that goal that I fail to try ANYTHING new and creative.  I want to learn to embrace imperfection as part of learning and remember that the value is in the process and not the product. This is in fact a large part of why I decided to participate in the project again. There will be weeks when I know I will be too busy to devote much time to being creative.  I  won't be on time with every submission. But I hope I will learn from my mistakes.  And I hope I will learn something about balance. And I especially hope to focus more on the joy of shooting without being so critical of my work.

Week 2 of the 52 week project:  Theme - Imperfection

No comments:

Post a Comment