"So we fix our eyes not on what is seen, but on what is unseen. For what is seen is temporary, but what is unseen is eternal." (2 Corinthians 4:18)

Sunday, June 10, 2012

History...


I'm so far behind with everything lately, that I've had days where I haven't even taken my camera out of its case.  Hate that!  But I know it's temporary and we ARE making progress on getting the house ready for our big move and remodel.  This post is mainly for my mom.

As we pack up half our house, I'm really trying to sort through things and give away what we haven't used in a long time.  Last week I sorted through the myriad of antique linens and silver I've been given.  When I turned 25, I inherited a hodgepodge of mismatched antique silver from my grandmother.  It was the strangest collection!  I think she used to buy things at estate sales that caught her eye.  There were a million spoons (which I've kept displayed) but very few forks or knives, so not much that was actually usable.  Oddly, I think I had at least 10 pickle forks!  lol.

At any rate, among the odds and ends, there were pieces from one set of silver that I really admired.  They were long out of production, so there was little hope of ever completing a set.  But my mom remembered a friend of hers owned a set.  For YEARS, she tried to convince her friend to sell them.  Finally last year, her friend moved into assisted living and had no use for her silver.  Mom purchased it and brought it to me on her last visit.  It was all wrapped in a towel and I was so busy it just sat in a drawer.  Last week, I FINALLY bought a case for it, so I could polish it and store it without it tarnishing so quickly.  So, this is for you Mom!!!  Look how pretty when it's all organized into a set like this!  I was thrilled to see that we have at least 8 place settings (only missing one knife).  And yep...those 10 pickle forks happen to be this same silver pattern too.   Ha ha!!!

I love that some of the pieces are engraved and I sometimes wonder about the history behind them.  Who used them and for what special occasions did they grace the table?  It's like owning a little bit of history.  And now that they're clean and organized, I can actually begin using them!

Thanks Mom!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment