"So we fix our eyes not on what is seen, but on what is unseen. For what is seen is temporary, but what is unseen is eternal." (2 Corinthians 4:18)

Sunday, January 22, 2012

The end...

"Fine"...that's music speak for "the end". Yep...finally finished the 365. What a year it's been! I'm so grateful this project is over! It has dominated my life and I need to focus on other things. It was a great experience tho' and I learned a lot. Top 1o lessons learned:

10. I still have a lot to learn! ...but I do know my way around my camera better.
9. Processing is an interesting extension of the art. I'm grateful to have been introduced to texture, vintage, special effects, layers, etc. There's a lot I still want to learn!
8. I am more competitive and compulsive than I realized. I went to great lengths for many challenges. I've locked myself in a dark bathroom to shoot little green men, made myself sick trying to capture incense smoke (FAIL), gotten muddy and wet laying on the ground, embarrassed myself in front of the neighbors, spent more money than I care to admit on photography gear and props, and gained a few pounds from eating said props.
7. I have a great family and they deserve a medal for putting up with me and this project. The shout of rejoicing for completion may be heard around the world! I also owe thanks to my students for frequently modeling for me.
6. Common interests create bonds, even when the distance is great. It's amazing to see others answer the same challenges from as far away as Russia, Pakistan, France, England, Australia, etc.! I'm humbled and thankful for all who took time to view, comment and fave my work. I've learned from you and been inspired and I'm grateful for new friends.
5. The thrill of victory, the agony of defeat. When you're posting every day, every pic cannot be a "winner". It's about the process, not the product and I learned from the "failures" as well as the "successes".
4. It's good to try new things, even if it doesn't "float my boat". I would have never attempted some things, had it not been for the challenges. Sometimes, I actually wound up liking it! :)
3. Perfectionism stifles creativity. I don't think I realized how much this tendency is alive in me. I'm still learning that imperfection is part of the process and valuable in its own right.
2. I'm still discovering "who I am" as an artist. I think my photos changed significantly over the course of the year. It gives me joy when others comment that they recognize my work from the thumbnail. I hope that means I'm finding my voice and not that I'm becoming boring.
1. Life is worth a closer look! Looking through a lens has opened my eyes to the wonder all around me. God created so much splender for us to enjoy!

What's next??? I'm not sure. I know I need a break from the self imposed pressure of a daily post. I also know I'll miss it...so I hope to find a balance. I'll definitely be picking up my camera, but need to give attention to other areas of my life that have been neglected during this project. I also need to catch up on editing Hannah and Abigail's photos for their memory books. I'm not sure what this means for the blog. I may not post daily anymore, but I do plan to keep it going. Time will tell. Stay tuned. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment