"So we fix our eyes not on what is seen, but on what is unseen. For what is seen is temporary, but what is unseen is eternal." (2 Corinthians 4:18)

Thursday, April 7, 2011

Sparkling symmetry...

For the challenge of "symmetry", I decided to shoot my ring. I inherited the diamond from my grandmother. It's an antique mine cut...something they don't do anymore. I received it as a loose stone and Bob had it set for me when Jenny was born. It's special to me. This was the first time i set out to intentionally try to capture reflections, so I shot this on a mirror and I learned something new. I was confused by the "ghosting" in the reflection. A friend explained that it's because the reflective part of a mirror is the back surface of the glass. So you get one reflection off the top surface, another (the strongest one) off the bottom, and double and triple bounces of light reflected within the glass. He said it was probably more than I wanted to know, but that he was after all a physics major! :) I thought it was interesting!

No comments:

Post a Comment