"So we fix our eyes not on what is seen, but on what is unseen. For what is seen is temporary, but what is unseen is eternal." (2 Corinthians 4:18)

Wednesday, June 9, 2010

Butterfly chase...

One of the most important lessons I'm learning is that, when you see something interesting, you can't just go off shooting willy-nilly! Check your camera settings first! A few weeks ago, I noticed a field of wildflowers on the way to PT, so I came back later with my camera. I started out with some wide angle shots in the shade, then spotted a butterfly and got so excited I chased him into the sun (shooting of course). My first shots were hopelessly overexposed. Below was my best attempt to salvage. I think it took 8 phases of editing to restore even this much color (can we say persistent?)...Sad I missed getting this right, 'cause he never sat still and opened up for me again. What a beauty tho'...even with his blown out highlights! (Wish I'd planned a shallower DOF too).
How much prettier he is when properly exposed...
And he was nice enough to fly into the frame when I shot the flowers...If only these were sharper (yeah...it's hard to avoid camera shake when you're chasing a butterfy!), but I LOVE the color!

2 comments:

  1. Trial and error....I'm sure that next time you will be ready and get that perfect in camera exposure and not need to edit it. You still did an excellent job of salvaging it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, you did. I wouldn't have known if you hadn't given it away. ;-)

    ReplyDelete