"So we fix our eyes not on what is seen, but on what is unseen. For what is seen is temporary, but what is unseen is eternal." (2 Corinthians 4:18)

Wednesday, July 14, 2010

Toy or no toy...that is the question...

Babies are simply exquisite and I want to find artistic ways to capture that. I LOVE Hannah's long, dark eyelashes and thought it would be cool to make them a primary subject. So I sat on a table, placing Hannah in Jenny's lap below (happy with a toy) and shot every time she looked down. Took a LOT of pics, experimented with angles, and was in for a surprise when I saw things on the computer! Since her neck is hidden, her head on her chest looked like a head on a platter...Seriously....beautiful head, but creepy!!! :) I like this one tho'...love how you can see that bit of smile beneath the toy. Can you feel the bliss? She LOVES her lollipop teething rattle!!!
I usually prefer b/w for this kind of shot, but that pop of pink toy and her pink skin grabs me too. So, just for a second opinion (for grins), I posted these on baby photographer/author Nick Kelsh's web page where he's offering suggestions to amateur photographers. His basic gist was..."good composition, strong technically, but lose the toy". So, I retrieved a discarded shot to reconsider. My initial intent was to crop more, but that head without the crease of the arm took me back to "head on a platter"...weirds me out!
Still think I prefer the toy...maybe because I associate it with Hannah's simple joy. Would love to know what YOU think. Tomorrow I'll post the one shot, sans toy, that I definitely do like.

2 comments:

  1. Love those lashes!!!

    I like the photo better with the toy! And I too like the color. Such perfect baby skin, I love it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like the color with the toy and BW without!! Beautiful shots!!!

    ReplyDelete