"So we fix our eyes not on what is seen, but on what is unseen. For what is seen is temporary, but what is unseen is eternal." (2 Corinthians 4:18)

Thursday, March 3, 2011

Alien invasion...

One of our challenges for the 365 was "neon". I had no desire to drive down Greenville at night shooting bar signs, so I headed to Party City instead. Picked up some little green glow-in-the-dark men...cheap party favors. Kara and I camped out in my bathroom for a while (only room in the house that's totally dark in the daytime) and played with different exposures.

For this first one, there was no other light source than the little men and the glow in the dark ball behind them (their planet). Trust me when I say these guys are not that bright....but they sure turned out that way in this shot.
For this one, I introduced a battery operated spinning toy that lights up. This was something like a 25 second exposure and for app. 5 of those seconds I circled the lighted toy once around the little men. Very "Close Encounters"...
For this one, I used the same battery operated toy. This was again a 25 second exposure, but I just whisked the lighted toy into the frame for a brief moment....less than a second. I love the way the marble countertop turned into a misty atmosphere.
Kara isn't always thrilled about helping me with my projects (understandable). Usually I hear "I'll give you 5 min." :) But on this day, she said she actually had fun. It was awesome seeing how each little adjustment completely changed the image! BTW, this stuff isn't really what I want to shoot, but I'm learning so much about my camera from these challenges.

1 comment:

  1. This is so much fun. I can't wait until summer again when I get to play more with my camera.

    ReplyDelete