"So we fix our eyes not on what is seen, but on what is unseen. For what is seen is temporary, but what is unseen is eternal." (2 Corinthians 4:18)

Monday, March 28, 2011

The past is confusing, the future's a blur...

And now...drum roll...my first macro shot! This was for the challenge of "blur". I had no idea what I was going to do for that, but my new lens had just arrived the night before so I was determined to use it. I was writing in my journal that morning and starting thinking about the picture on the cover. It's a faux leather design with that old poem "Footprints". So, I thought it would be fun to play around with the SUPER shallow dof you can get with a macro. Shot this at f/3.2 in an effort to only get one footprint in focus. It naturally made me think of those great words in 2 Cor. 5:7. "We walk by faith, not by sight."
I'm loving the lens! Two things I love are shallow dof and detail and it's perfect for that. I had no idea until I started experimenting that I would need much smaller apertures with the macro to achieve the same dof. The field of focus with f3.2 for this lens would have been wide open (f1.4) with my 50mm. What I might normally shoot at f/2.8 with my 50 is more like a f/5-8 with the macro. Who woulda thunk it? Sadly, that means I need more light. BTW, the macro takes an awesome portrait too!..and I don't have to get right in my subject's face.

No comments:

Post a Comment